FIS Modern Banking Platform
Advance your bank with a modern core platform.
Research and Reports
2020 COVID-19 U.S. Consumer Behavior Report
September 08, 2020
FROM DISRUPTION TO INNOVATION
COVID-19, U.S. consumer behavior and the new normal
COVID-19 is fundamentally altering virtually every facet of modern life. What only recently represented “normal” seems far removed from our experience today. A fundamentally new normal is emerging from the disruption of the pandemic.
A survey of over 2,000 U.S. consumers in June 2020 is now available to help quantify and better understand our changed landscape.
“From Disruption to Innovation: COVID-19, U.S. Consumer Behavior and The New Normal” examines consumer sentiment about restaurants and changes in behavior around delivery in depth. We’ll get the consumer’s perspective on their rush to eCommerce in the wake of stay-at-home orders.
The survey dives into a boom in streaming services and consumer sentiment on travel. We conclude by forecasting near-term U.S. consumer purchasing trends.
Here’s just a sampling of what you’ll find:
- Consumers are embracing digital transformation: 58% agreed that they are spending more on eCommerce during COVID-19
- Consumers want to help and support local businesses: 42% buy from more local/independent small businesses now
- Consumers are gravitating to delivery services: 26% of respondents in our survey tried a new-to-them delivery service during COVID-19
The report examines U.S. consumer behavior through the lens of three key trends:
- Acceleration: Our “new normal” accelerates momentum of trends well underway prior to 2020
- Adaptation: COVID-19 is fast-tracking adoption of new products and services by necessity.
- Persistence: Changes in U.S. consumer behavior are likely to persist well beyond 2020
“From Disruption to Innovation” seeks to better understand U.S. consumer behavior, so that those charged with serving their needs can best support them, their families and our communities in these challenging times.